Friday, April 20, 2007

Die Zauberfloete: Mozart’s Da Vinci Code

Tonight I went to see the Mozart’s Opera, The Magic Flute, at the Palestinian National Theater. It was performed by a touring group from England, so of course it was in English, although one of the production people was with the music program at Melbourne Uni! The sets were minimal, which reminded me of the way the way the RSC performs.
I’ve always wanted to see the Magic Flute ever since I taught a course on Black Athena because Mozart was a mason and there are many coded references to Masonic philosophy, Egypt and Enlightenment in the opera. I thoroughly enjoyed it - especially at the price of 20 sheckels (about 5 dollars), which is less than a sandwich costs in Melbourne. Maybe Dan Brown will write his version!

No comments: